Saturday, June 25, 2011

4 Grams of Protein

When did this happen?  Is Baby Ruth marketing to the health-conscience demographic?  I think so.

Then again, maybe this isn't about those who are truly health-conscience.  It seems to me that Baby Ruth is marketing to those who want to be "healthy" without changing any habits.  What better way to hit that target on the head than to simply relabel a candy bar as a energy bar by emphasizing the amount of protein.  What about the sugar, carbohydrates, etc.?  Then again, a Baby Ruth is probably not very far from an energy bar to begin with.  The great thing is that this little marketing trick probably works.  I know that in a state of delusion, I have chosen a Snickers over a 3 Musketeers for the "health benefits" by telling myself, "Peanuts are healthy."  Now the packaging on a Baby Ruth strengthens my delusion.  I'm not sure what this advertising strategy says about the character of the Nestle company, but I'll laugh if the next Baby Ruth I see is labeled organic too.

No comments:

Post a Comment