Saturday, July 9, 2011

What exactly is a "green" burial?

What exactly is a "green" burial?

I don't know the answer to that question, but you could find out at this particular funeral home.

While a lot of companies are jumping on the "green marketing" bandwagon, I did not expect the funeral industry to follow suit.  Many companies that tout their products as "green" do not have backing of any third-party evaluation to support the claim.  I have my doubts about this funeral home's claim as well despite the cute little plant pictured.

Beyond my feelings towards the green marketing trend, I have a bigger problem with this billboard.  Rule # 1 for burial advertisements - don't include dirt in your graphics!  When the time comes to make plans for your own death or of a loved one, the last thing you want to see is dirt.  Adding a shovel and a hole in the background is the only thing I can think of that would make this ad less appropriate.  As I read this billboard, I suddenly got the feeling that a green burial means that your body will become compost for the young plant pictured.  I doubt the gruesome picture in my head was the intent of this billboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment